- Vermont Health Care Careers - http://www.vthealthcareers.org -

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech-Language Pathologists are concerned with conditions that affect speech, voice and language. Their patients may have trouble with stuttering, swallowing or understanding and using language. Some have lost the ability to speak after a stroke or other trauma. Speech-language pathologists teach sign language, help people strengthen muscles used in speech and swallowing, and work with patients to improve lost or compromised abilities.

Salary Range: $47,070 – $116,810

Salary Notes: Experienced speech-language pathologists can earn up to $116,810 per year. In both cases, salary is dependent upon the work setting. The mean salary in Vermont is $72,490.

Where you can study:
Boston University [1], Boston, MA
Emerson College [2], Boston, MA
Northeastern University Bouve College of Health Science [3], Boston, MA
Southern Connecticut State University [4], New Haven, CT
University of Connecticut, Department of Communication Disorders [5], Storrs, CT
University of Maine, Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders [6], Orono, Me
University of Massachusetts Amherst [7], Amherst, MA
University of New Hampshire [8], Durham, NH
University of Rhode Island, [9] Kingston, RI
University of Vermont Dept. of Communication Sciences [10], Burlington, VT
Worcester State University [11], Worcester, MA

Where you might work:
– Colleges and Universities – Home Health Agencies – Hospitals – Private Practice – Rehabilitation Centers – Research Facilities – School Systems – Speech and Hearing Clinics

Job Outlook: The demand for speech-language pathologists is expected to increase much faster than the average for all occupations through the year 2024.

Education, Licensing and Certification: High school and undergraduate course work should include math and science. It is also possible to focus on areas such as speech, behavioral science and language development at the undergraduate level. A master’s degree is required to work as a speech-language pathologist, as well as a license in the state of Vermont. Certification is available from ASHA (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association).

Professional Organizations:
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association [12] (ASHA) 800-638-8255
Vermont Speech-Language Hearing Association [13]